Design File Preferences
The machines at Colorado WaterJet use .DXF files to lead the cutting process accurately. What if I don’t have CAD files?
If your file was created in a CAD Program, please send as a .DXF file type, as well as a dimensioned print or .pdf if you have these available.
- Create and save the drawing at full scale with no drawing sheet format or dimensions.
- Save all entities on 1 layer and, if possible, save as a 2004 .DXF or earlier.
- Draw tapped holes at tap drill size.
- Explode all blocks and symbols.
- Purge drawing before saving. (File|Drawing Utilities|Purge)
- We prefer to perform nesting operations in-house, but if you would prefer to do it yourself, a minimum of 0.2″ spacing between parts is recommended. We will also need a little extra space on 2 sides of the sheet for clamping/fixturing.
- Please provide an additional PDF or CAD file with dimensions and tolerances.
If your file was created in a vector graphics program, please send files to us as .AI, .SCV or .EPS format.
- Please do not send us your file as a raster or bitmap.
- Convert text to outlines.
- Ensure that (View|Outline) shows all lines as they will be cut.
If your design is only a sketch:
- Please use dark, heavy, single lines or solid filled images.
- Sketches must be at most 8.5″x11″
All files must be usable by Windows OS and less than 25 Mb. If needed, files may be compressed further using 7zip.
Other potentially acceptable formats are .DWG, .STP and .PDF, but please give us a call about using these formats.